Hypnic Headache is a disorder that occurs exclusively during the night, to people over 50 years of age, almost always waking them up from the sleep, as a result of pain. Due to this characteristic, it is more often known as “alarm clock headache”.
- Most common Occurrence
- Hypnic Headache and Menopause
- Home Remedies
Location of pain
Pain occurs on both sides of the head sometimes on one side of head.
Duration of pain
The pain usually lasts from a few minutes to 6 hours on average. While, in most individuals, the duration of pain was just 30-60 mins, with one attack per night and around 15 attacks in a month.
The most common Occurrence
Hypnic Headache is most common in people over the age of 50 years with a female predominance.
- The pain, throbbing in character
- Nasal congestion
There is no known cause of but a few studies suggest some sort of relationship between the headache and stages of sleep.
A few times, people experienced a single episode, the headache in such cases can be associated with:
- Sleep Apnea
- Night seizures
- Drug withdrawal effects
- Arteritis such as Temporal Arteritis
- Any other headache disorder such as Migraine, Tension Headache, Caffeine Headache
- Head Traumas
- Brain Tumor.
Hypnic Headache and Menopause
It is very commonly seen in Postmenopausal women, affecting their night time sleep.
Treatment: Calcium channel blockers and caffeine are given as bedtime doses. This increases blood flow to the heart and perfusion.
How is a Hypnic Headache Diagnosed?
To reach a proper diagnosis, accurate information regarding sleeping habits and quality of sleep experienced by the patient is required. The physician might require:
- Blood tests
- CT scan
- MRI (magnetic resonance imaging)
- Sleep studies that involve pattern, quality, the quantity of sleep, and sleep time habits.
- Aspirin: As an over the counter analgesic.
- Triptans: For migraine associated Hypnic Headache.
- Phenobarbital: Seizure associated headache
- Melatonin: For better sleep.
- Lithium Carbonate but that requires proper monitoring.
- Try taking enough sleep
- Drink a cup of coffee before Bed or take a Caffiene pill.
- Release stress by doing exercises like Yoga to have a good night’s sleep.
Hypnic Headache exclusively occurs during the night when you’re asleep, waking you up from a good night’s sleep.
Lithium Carbonate is the best treatment option available but it comes with some side effects.
People in their 50’s mostly report with Hypnic Headache but a few cases in their 40s have also come up with complaint of this type of headache.
Headache usually lasts from a few minutes to 6 hours on an average. While, in most individuals, the duration of Headache was just 30-60 mins.